Skip to main content

It's Not In My Blood




It’s been a long time and I have so much more to talk about because there is so much going in the world but because May is Mental Health Awareness Month I wanted to touch on the issue.  You all know that I love music, so when I heard this song by Shawn Mendes it immediately spoke to me.



If you know me or follow then you know that I lost my mother when I was 14 years old and honestly it is a wound that never heals. I endure but I miss her daily. But on top of that me and my mother has other issues; my father said we are so much alike that we repelled each other.  Nevertheless, my mother passed away and I felt guilty and hurt but I never had time to truly process that pain.  In most black family, we endure “God never gives us more than we handle” and we push on. But the pain doesn’t go away it just fest almost like a smoldering volcano. So, my life went and I had some great accomplishment but I also had some tragic lows.  In, my senior year of high school about two weeks before spring break I had a very bad asthma attack, I almost died although a traumatic event that left me hurt and did I mention my mother also passed from an asthma attack. Again, I just buried the pain and kept on living  

So, we are going to take those two tragic moments, with life, and my own insecurities that I also never addressed. I was carrying around a lot of baggage and in 2012, my body gave out. I was too tired to carry the baggage, I remember sitting in the house for three consecutive days, I didn’t go to work, I didn’t really speak with people and I just kept thinking to myself “I am so tired, I don’t how much more I can take”, “I am not happy” on the night of the third day something in me snapped and I remember waking up and saying “I need help “. I drove myself to Bon Secour and admitted myself. I stayed there for seven days and I honestly believe that if I hadn’t of went I would not be here today because I was in a really dark place.


So, after giving you my background I am going to give you a few tidbits to help you:
·         Getting help doesn’t make you WEAK
o   That stigma that asking for help is weakness is BS because you have to be a very strong person to place your ego and pride to the side and say: “What I am doing is not working, I need help”
·         Getting professional help does not mean your FAITH is weak
o   This was something I had to overcome, but God works through all people, that counselor you go and speak maybe your answered prayer.
·         It doesn’t happen overnight
o   Mental healthiness is always an ongoing process so do not get discouraged, you are sill going to have bad days you just will be better equipped to deal with them
·         Embrace your “Crazy”
o   Don’t let people label you we all have some type of mental quirk embrace it and work on improving your life
·         Choose YOU
o   Nothing or No one in your life can give you joy only you can do that. It is not SELFISH it is SELF CARE

I am going to leave that right there for you, as always if you need me I am just email or DM away. You can also schedule your FREE coaching session.

Comments