Skip to main content

Ignorance can be DEADLY

 
This past Thursday, December 1st 2011 was once again National AIDS Day, so I raise the question , “Did you get tested?” As an  avid activist on the importance of getting tested and  knowing your status , it could save your life and also the  life as others. HIV/AIDS is the  taking millions of lives  and will continue to take more if we do not own up to the  fact that looking past the issue doesn’t eliminate the problem.

When I decided that I wanted to pursue work within the non profit  field,  HIV/AIDS  was my  way in beginning as a peer educator, moving up to health educator and all the way up to Health outreach worker. I have facilitated over  400 HIV/AIDS  education presentations  for  youth and young adults throughout the City of Richmond and surrounding counties, the one common thing that I found out was the cause of them not getting tested “IGNORANCE”.
So, many of us are concerned about the stigma around the disease and getting tested , I don’t want people to think that I have it?”, “ I seem like a slut if I have to go and get tested?” But  truth is that  in getting tested you are not only protecting yourself but you are also protecting others. I am not going to say that when you are sitting in that pre interview giving out the details of your sexual history and waiting that twenty minutes for that result wont make your world stop but you get to WALK out of there. Where as, you don’t get tested you walk around with a ticking TIME BOMB inside your body, you go to the doctor diagnosed to late and you DON’T WALK out.

IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE, GET TESTED TODAY!!

If you are afraid contact me and we can do it together

Comments