Skip to main content

If it is wet and not yours then DON'T TOUCH IT



 I first found my passion for educating and empowering people as an HIV/AIDS peer educator for the American Red Cross , which I guess for most parents it would have been weird for have your fifteen year old daughter traveling around the city, talking about sexually transmitted diseases, handing out condoms and talking about birth control. But my dad was cool at least on the outside, he knew that for me education was only power and besides my mom had passed away so me teaching myself really delayed the sex talk.

However, I had a great mentor by the name of David Bolter and til this day I love and owe him more than I could put into words, but when I first started as a peer educator , he taught me this one basic rule when it comes to bodily fluids;
" If it is wet and it is not yours, DON’T TOUCH IT".  This statement has been a staple in my life, it’s help me to stay clear of other's people drama and causing myself unnecessary stress and I wanted to share it with you.



When I think of something being wet , I think of the mess it is or that is going to leave behind, so that is how I apply to everyday life situations. We have all been in the predicaments when we are dealing with something that when we look at it, it really does not have nothing with us. It was somebody else's problem that we got swept up into and now we are left on clean up duty.  It is really hard to see it for what it is when you are in the middle of it, so let me break it down for you.

If your friend, family member, co worker, dog walker, whoever comes to you and all they have is drama ( the wetness) , and because you are close to them or a good friend you truly want to help and help them ( touching it) and once you began to start helping you also began to notice inconsistencies or they become non responsive because now you are handling their problem. You have officially touched something wet that is not yours.

 It really didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why David never wanted to us to handle bodily fluids with out bare hands because there is greater chance of contracting a disease.  We essentially do the same thing when we handle issues that are not ours to handle we put ourselves at a greater risk of being stressed, worried, anxious all over something that never belonged to us in the beginning. 

I am not saying not be helpful or give advice when needed but use caution because life will hand you enough of your own mess and stress , that you should not want to contract something that was never yours to begin with.


Submit your questions for sister 2 sister Sunday : coachdestiny@truerevelatiosnscoaching.com

Comments